A visa run is a trip over an international border designed to reset the visa in the originating country of the trip. Many countries, which have visa-free travel or grant visas on arrival, will give a set amount of time that you can be in the country. When you would like to stay more than your visa stamp is valid for, you have to renew or extend your visa before your visa expiry date. You need to apply for a new visa or extension in order to stay legally in the kingdom. Due to the government’s complicated visa laws and provisions, the following will give you some clarity in the matter.

This topic deals with Visa Runs, extensions and renewals, mostly to Malaysia and Myanmar. We have contracts with companies who facilitate trips to these two countries to make it possible for you to extend your visa or make a new visa, operated from Phuket.

Phuket is a likely place for tourists to enter the Kingdom of Thailand, because of its beautiful nature and beaches, a vibrant community and colorful culture, in short, a great place to relax and enjoy. So many tourists from all around the world travel to this place and many decide to stay longer than intended. Also, if you already planned to stay longer than your visa allows you, please consider the maximum number of days of your visa/extension. The duration of the validity of your visa can also depend on the country that you are from.

1. Extend your visa for one week.

In case you would like to stay in Thailand one more week from the expiration date of your visa received upon entry, then we suggest you extend your visa at Phuket City Immigration or Patong Beach Immigration and pay a visa fee of 1900 baht.


Immigration Office Phuket :

482 Phuket Rd, Tambon Talat Yai, Mueang Phuket District, 83000

Phone:          076 221 905


Monday:          8:30 AM–12 PM, 1–4 PM

Tuesday:          8:30 AM–12 PM, 1–4 PM

Wednesday: 8:30 AM–12 PM, 1–4 PM

Thursday:        8:30 AM–12 PM, 1–4 PM

Fridays:             8:30 AM–12 PM, 1–4 PM

Saturday:         Closed

Sunday:            Closed


Immigration Office Patong :

Pa Tong, Kathu District, Phuket 83150

Phone:          076 340 477

Hours :

Monday:          10 AM–12 PM, 1–3 PM

Tuesday:          10 AM–12 PM, 1–3 PM

Wednesday: 10 AM–12 PM, 1–3 PM

Thursday:        10 AM–12 PM, 1–3 PM

Friday:              10 AM–12 PM, 1–3 PM

Saturday:         Closed

Sunday:            Closed


2. A Extend visa for 30 days.

In case you would like to extend your stay for more than one week, like for example 30 days, then citizens from some countries can go to the Immigration office and pay for visa extension fee 1,900 baht. If, after this extension of 30 days you wish to stay longer, you will have to cross the border and go out of the country and get a new entry visa for 30 days. If you stay in Phuket, we recommend the border crossing at the Malaysian and Myanmar border.

Extend visa for 30 days (tourists from countries that immigration does not allow 30 days extension) OR after 30 days granted by immigration.

( https://www.immigration.go.th/content/immigration_regulation)


– By Plane

When you wish to fly from Phuket to another country to extend/renew your visa, we suggest flying to Malaysia since it is closer. You can stamp the visa in and out of the country on the same day. The flight from Phuket to Malaysia is a direct flight, and we suggest you check the following airlines: Air Asia, Malaysia Airlines.

Tourists can also extend/renew their visa in Laos by taking a domestic flight from Phuket to Udonthani and then travel by taking a taxi from Udonthani to the border Thailand-Laos and stay overnight and return the next day. Another option is to fly from Phuket-Bangkok-Laos by airline: Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways, Laos Airlines, and Air Asia.

Cambodia is another place where tourists fly to for extending/renewing their visa, with an overnight stay in Cambodia, Phuket-Bangkok-Cambodia by airlines: Bangkok Airways, Air Asia and Thai Airways (Air Asia some days have a direct flight from Phuket to Phnom Penh, but not operate every day)

Singapore also is a nearby option. If you fly from Phuket to Singapore, there are direct flights available, but most tourists will stay overnight. We suggest the following airlines: Air Asia and Singapore Airlines.


  • By Car

You can travel to Ranong Province, Thailand (border Thailand – Myanmar), by car yourself or by taking a taxi and have your visa renewed/extended there. You will have the choice of two piers to go to. The first one, named Saphan-Pla Pier (at Ranong), and another one name Grand Andaman Harbour (At Ranong) prepare your passport and the visa fee, which is about 10 $.

–      Visa run trip by minivan (most tourists use this service)

Book the trip to extend/renew your visa or travel by yourself (we suggest the trip “visa run” with the company specialized in doing this since they will give you useful information for permission reentering the country).

For extending/renewing your visa at any of these borders mentioned here, from a (starting) permission/visa on arrival, the visitor is allowed to renew the visa to continue the stay in Thailand, two times, with 30 days each, anywhere per calendar year (this information from immigration update January 24, 2020). Theoretically (tourists from some countries), can extend their visa on arrival (30 days) with an extension of 30 days at the immigration office to be followed by a maximum of two extensions, every 30 days, by crossing the border and coming back into the Kingdom. Should one wish to stay longer, than it is required to leave the country and apply for a different visa at an embassy or consulate in another country. See below!
Whenever there is a change in immigration regulation we will endeavor to update this information) Should you wish to renew your visa at the border for a third time, it will strongly depend on the officer’s decision to grant your request (maybe they will check your passport if you have overstayed and/or check your ticket flight to return home, country of origin)


  1. Visa by applying for a new visa

For tourists and foreigners who would like to stay more than 1-2-3-4 months (after visa on arrival and depending on the country you are from) in Thailand, we suggest you make a visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in Penang, Malaysia, and apply for a tourist visa, non-immigrant visa or ED-Visa. With a tourist visa from the Royal Thai Embassy at Penang, you will get two months to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand and a one-month extension at the immigration office in Phuket, giving you a total of three months.


  • By Flight

You can also travel by flight, having a direct trip from Phuket to Penang by Firefly Airlines. Prepare your documents (depending on what kind of visa application), and the visa fee. Another option is to book the trip, visa run by plane, with a company in Phuket, offering a specialized service to you (more information please contact us).

  • By Car

You can also go to Malaysia by car at border Padang Besar Immigration (Songkla, Thailand) but you have to make insurance for your car first since that is the law of Malaysia. For more information, please contact Padang Besar Immigration on this number: +66 74 521020.


A visa run trip is the option for tourists who wish to save on the cost and don’t mind to spend more time than you normally would by plane or car. Phuket has a service visa run trip to Penang with a duration of three nights two days for making a visa at the Thai Consulate in Penang. You prepare your document(s) (depending on the permission you apply for) and the fee for your visa.

Image may contain: outdoor

Check your legal status before you go; don’t overstay! Sometimes on the way to the border, police can check your passport at police checkpoints; if they find that you have overstayed, you have a problem. They might ask you to pay the fine or in case of long overstay, prevent you from continuing your trip.

A Visa Run is pretty much straight forward and it is not tricky to apply for an extension or a visa. You check your plan and if you would like to stay more days than your visa allows you, you get an extension before your visa expiry date. Prepare your document(s) and the fee visa and make it right and legal.

This topic just touches on some parts of the immigration process to apply for extensions and visas. A visa run is recommended when you stay in Phuket or another province nearby a border with Malaysia or Myanmar. It’s an option for you to extend your visa. We hope our information gives you some insight into the way to apply for an extension or a visa.

For further information, we suggest you do your own research or contact us directly. We are always glad to help and assist you. Please call the office or send us an email. Enjoy your stay J

Disclaimer: The above information is by no means conclusive or official. We cannot be responsible for any situation a traveler finds him or herself in dealing with this issue, based on the information provided. Immigration can change regulations at any moment and any decision is at the discretion of the immigration office. We suggest you also do your own research.